Posters, Abstracts & Newsletters
To request a copy of any of the posters, publications or newsletters below, please contact us.
The Importance of Lymphoid Stimulation and FISH to Detect Complex Translocations in Oncology
K. Stiner, N. Lee, K. Abdi, L. White, L. Dean, Q. Virgo, W.L. Flejter PhD
A bone marrow sample was received from a forty-five year old female with submandibular lymphadenopathy and a clinical indication of lymphoma. Cytogenetic analysis was preformed from both an unstimulated culture and a culture set-up with a mitogen/cytokine cocktail composed of phytohemaglutinin and Interleukin 2 (PHA/IL2).
Multicolor Flow Cytometry Detects Monoclonal Plasma Cells in the Vast Majority of Patients with Plasma Cell Disorders Shown to Have Genetic Abnormalities by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH)
Raul Braylan, Karina Baggiani, Tiana Golding, Eric Kroman, Michael L. Miller, and Wendy L. Flejter
The flow cytometric analysis is considered an essential tool for the identification of malignant hemopoietic and lymphoid cells, and it is particularly useful in evaluating plasma cell clonality to differentiate normal from neoplastic plasma cells (PC). Neoplastic PC typically show loss of CD19 and aberrant expression of markers such as CD56 and CD117, but the demonstration of an expansion of PC containing a single immunoglobulin light chain (monotypic or monoclonal expansion) is critical for determining the nature of a PC population.
Plasma Cell Enrichment: A Valuable Tool to Increase Abnormality Detection Rates in Plasma Cell Disorders by FISH
E. Kroman, L. Scott, Q. Zhao, J. Zhang, T. Golding, M.L. Miller, W.L. Flejter – Miraca Life Sciences
Cytogenetic analysis of plasma cell disorders (PCD) is difficult owing to their low proliferative rate in vitro. Although interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) has improved the detection of abnormalities, cases with a low level of neoplastic cells often go undetected. Plasma cell enrichment techniques increase the density of the overall population of plasma cells, thereby increasing the detection and frequency of abnormalities. In this preliminary study, bone marrow plasma cells from 21 patients with a clinical suspicion of a PCD, and 20 normal control samples, were enriched using the auto MACS Pro Separator.
A Rare (11;22)(q23;q11.2) Translocation in a Patient with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
K. Horvath, K. Webber, E. Hayes, T. Zeliadt, W.L. Flejter PhD – Miraca Life Sciences, Phoenix, AZ
We received bone marrow and peripheral blood samples from a 58-year-old year old female with a clinical indication of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Morphology, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), cytogenetics and flow cytometry were performed and compared. The morphological evaluation showed a large number of predominantly small, mature-appearing lymphocytes and smudge cells.
A Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation of a Rare ider(22q) in a Patient with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)
L. Dean, L. White, E. Hayes, K. Webber, T. Zeliadt, E. Kroman, W. L. Flejter, PhD – Miraca Life Sciences, AZ
Peripheral blood and bone marrow samples from a 70-year-old female with leukocytosis, thrombocytosis and a clinical indication of a myeloproliferative neoplasm were received in our laboratory for a comprehensive diagnostic analysis. Evaluation included morphology, flow cytometry, molecular diagnosis, cytogenetics and FISH. Morphologic evaluation revealed predominantly granulocytic cells at all stages of maturation, frequent eosinophils and occasional basophils. Megakaryocytes were numerous and showed cytological atypia.
Miraca Life Sciences Hematology Newsletters
The Differential – Winter 2011
- What to do about: Low level monoclonal B-lymphocyte populations
- Getting to the point: Somatic point mutations influence the clinical features and survival in myelodysplastic syndromes
- Meet our new Hematopathologists: Viera Nelson, MD and Anthony-Osei F. Safo, DO
The Differential – Fall 2010
- Improving. Evolving. The Miraca Life Sciences Way.
- Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria PNH): A Life Threatening Disease Caused by Unregulated Complement Activation
- The Role of Flow Cytometry in the Diagnosis of PNH
- Miraca Life Sciences and the Use of Quality Flow Cytometry
- Plasma Cell Enrichment: Increasing the Detection Rate of Plasma Cell Disorders
The Differential – Spring 2010
- FISH or Karyotype Analysis Recommended for Patients with Diffuse – Large B-Cell Lymphomas
- Lenalidomide Demonstrates Clinical Activity among Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) with High-Risk Cytogenetics
- Mutational Analyses to Influence Treatment Choices for Imatinib Resistant Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)
- Miraca Life Sciences announces three new molecular assays – JAK2 Exon12, cMPL, and BCR/ABL Kinase Domain Mutation Analysis
- Notes on the Importance of Notes